Based off of the 2013 community-based strategic plan, APL 150, the current facility does not meet the needs of the community. As the library strives to fulfill its mission and vision, the facility is falling behind on standards for contemporary urban libraries.
• Safety and security are issues in the current building that can be addressed by innovations in library building design.
• The current facility did not have any computers when it was built. We currently have 69 public access computers and limited options for expansion.
• Limitations of the current facility do not allow for the volume and types of meeting space that a modern library requires.
• Patron parking spaces are often blocked by delivery vehicles due to inadequate space for loading and unloading library materials.
• The costs of changing library spaces are considerably higher because of the inflexible infrastructure.